SUNWAY FUTURE CITIES CHALLENGE
Frequently Asked Questions
Sunway Future Cities Challenge (FCC) is the first competition under the Sunway Idea Dropbox program. It’s an internal ideation challenge that encourages Sunwayians to contribute ideas and build innovative solutions for smarter, more sustainable Sunway Cities.
Sunway FCC challenges Sunwayians to reimagine the future of Sunway Cities through the lens of 3 verticals — food & agritech, health & well–being, and smart cities.
Staff of Sunway Business Units & Students of Sunway University.
You will get to be part of our dynamic innovation ecosystem and learn the tools to launch & commercialise your innovative idea. In addition, Sunway FCC allows you to showcase your talents (through 1-1 coaching or mentoring) and enriches your personal development with new skillsets such as design thinking and developing a resilient growth mindset to overcome challenges.
Both works for us!
Sunway FCC is completely free! All you need to do is start registering and innovating!
No, they don’t have to be! We love a diverse team!
All you need to do is register, participate in the informative speaker series, and submit your ideas based on the challenge statements provided.
If you are selected for Demo Day (the final stage of the competition), you will get the opportunity present your idea to a panel of judges. If your idea is selected by the judges, you will be awarded the opportunity to further develop your project.
We welcome any and all innovative ideas you have in relation to building smarter, more sustainable Sunway Cities! Please do submit them to us and we will help you assess and work on your ideas.
If you have missed the sessions, here are the links;-
Adrian Lim, CEO of PopBox – How to Identify a business opportunity?
Michael Jiang, CEO of Fitscovery – Do I have a problem worth solving?
Dato Syed Haizam, Managing Partner of Tuas Capital Partners and the Hive Southeast Asia – Have I Built Something People Want?
Here is the link!
You should include the following in your pitch deck;
- Team introduction
- What problem are you solving? How many people needs this problem solved?
- Your proposed solution
- What are the benefits/ advantages of your solution?
- How would your solution benefit the future of Sunway Cities?
- How does your solution work? What does your solution do?
- Uniqueness of your solution – Is there any similar solution in the market? Who are your key competitors? How do you differentiate from your competitors?
- How would you like to bring your idea to life? How would you like to implement your idea and what are the resources or supports that are needed?
In a maximum of 15 slides.
We will evaluate your idea based on the following key criteria:
- Need: Is the problem you aim to solve meets the needs of Sunway Future Cities Challenge? How many people needs this problem solved?
- Approach: Is your proposed solutions fits the problem that you are aiming to solve? How does your solution work? What does your solution do?
- Benefits: How would your solution benefit the future of Sunway Cities?
- Competition: Uniqueness of your solution
- Implementability/ Scalability: Can your idea be implemented after Sunway FCC?
The winner/winning team will get a seed funding of RM 3,000 to develop your project further. Do note that the seed funding can only be used for project development purpose only.
All winners will receive recognition from the Top Management of Sunway, acknowledgement on Sunway Group’s social media channels, and also the possibility to convert their innovative idea into a project that will be implemented in Sunway.
The judges will be announced 1 week prior to the demo day.
We will announce the winners through our social media channels and via email.
We will provide structural support that includes, but is not limited to: project funding (internal funding, Sunway Innovation Matching Fund), project resources (expertise, co-creation with our network of Sunway University affiliates and external partners), 1-1 coaching and mentoring from the management team. For Sunway staff, you will also be awarded the opportunity to work on your ideas as part of your annual key performance index!